1 cup flour
8 tbsp butter
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp protein French toast powder
2 tbsp erythritol
3 tbsp brown swerve
1/2 cup sugar free maple syrup
4 tbsp butter or margarine
1 cup confectioners swerve
Serving Size: 36
1. Combine the water, sugar, salt and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add flour. Stir until a dough ball forms and mash it against the sides of the pan for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat in the beaten eggs in small increments until the dough is thick, shiny and pipeable.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone baking sheet. Transfer the dough to a piping bag or ziploc bag with the corner cut off and pipe out your bag eclairs about 3” long.
5. Bake the pastries for 20 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue to bake for about 7-8 minutes. Do not open the oven until 25 minutes has passed. The steam causes them to rise. The pastries should be golden and hollow sounding. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
6. Prepare your filling: boil the almond milk then reduce heat and stir in remaining filling ingredients until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat and store in fridge. Before using, stir it until smooth.
7. Prepare the glaze: combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and stir until combined. Mixture will harden if it gets too cool so use promptly.
Make a small hole in the end of each pastry and pipe the filling in or simply slice in half and fill with filling. Dunk the pastries in the glaze and allow to cool. Store in fridge.
From the kitchen of: Megan Osborn